The South – known for a lot of things but for food, you can’t deny the BBQ roots. In fact, Nashville is credited for having one of the first smokehouses at The Hermitage, the home of 7th President, Andrew Jackson. Who
Being from Nashville, we love our BBQ. For us it’s a way of life but being more healthy doesn’t mean you can’t indulge and this BBQ sauce recipe is the perfect, low sugar and low cal option you can use for your every day life! Enjoy!
(Healthy) Southern Style BBQ Sauce
For your ingredients:
- 1 Can Diced Tomatoes
- 3 Medium Garlic Cloves
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3 TBSP Honey
- 3 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 3/4 TBSP Maple Syrup
- 2 1/2 TBSP Dehydrated Onions
- 1 TBSP Paprika
- 1 TBSP Onion Powder
- 1/4 TSP Ground Red Pepper
- 1/4 TSP Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 TSP Salt
Total Prep Time: 10 Minutes // Total Cooking Time: ~60 Minutes
- Puree or blend diced tomatoes down to a sauce based consistency and add to small sauce pan.
- Add all remaining ingredients except vinegar to pan and start with a rolling boil.
- Once boiling for about 30 seconds, turn down to low and let simmer for the ~1 hour. Add in 1-2 TBSP of vinegar.
- Based on taste, after 30-45 minutes on low, add remaining vinegar if desired.
- If adding to a crock pot recipe or to a dish in the oven, I would suggest mixing all ingredients together in a pan for about 10 minutes before covering your meat of choice while letting the heating unit for the meat or dish do the rest!
Yields 12 servings per batch. Estimated Weight Watchers Points: 2 per serving
Long drawn out recipe posts make me crazy so I try to simplify things for you when I can! I hope you enjoy this wonderful recipe soon and with BBQ season upon, what could be better timing!
Taylor Guardino, The Food Lover Gone Southern