Summer is here (even though the weather isn’t REALLY cooperating) but I am in full summer food mode! This recipe was actually a brain child of mine that I morphed from a recipe I eat at one of my favorite restaurants in town. I wanted to create something that was more WW points friendly that still had the zip of the original!
Also, I love lemon – I think it’s the absolute perfect flavor for this time of year and it adds a boatload of flavor without a ton of calories. Who doesn’t love a little zing now and then?
White Bean Summer Salad
For your ingredients:
- 1 Cup Cooked Quinoa
- 1 Can White Beans
- 1 Medium Bell Pepper, Chopped
- 1 Medium Sweet Onion, Chopped
- 1 Small Shallot, Minced
- 1/2 Large English Cucumber, Chopped
- 1 Medium Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/3 Cup Lemon Juice
- 2 TBSP Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice
- 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TSP Salt
- 1/4 TSP Dried Rosemary
Total Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook your quinoa as directed on the package. I generally do 1/2 cup of dry quinoa to 1.5 cups of water to make it extra fluffy but the normal ratio is 1/2 cup of dry quinoa to 1 cup of water.
- Place your onion, shallot, and garlic in a frying pan with a quick spray of cooking oil and sautée until the onions are translucent. Once finished, take 3 TBSP and set to the side for the dressing portion of the recipe.
- Take your can of beans and rinse them thoroughly.
- Mix the quinoa, beans, bell pepper, cucumber and remaining onion, shallot, garlic mixture in a large bowl.
- In a blender or food processor, mix the citrus juices, olive oil, spices and 3 TBSP of onion mixture and blend until smooth. Mix the dressing in with the mix and voila!
Yields 10 servings per batch above. Estimated Weight Watchers Points: 4sp per serving
I hope you enjoy playing with this recipe! The dressing can be made in a variety of ways to suit your needs! You can even kick this recipe up more with different herbs, cheeses and veggies! Make it your own!
Taylor Guardino, The Food Lover Gone Southern