Went back to my roots last week and my beloved pasta sauce to bring a really healthy and delicious recipe to you (and to me, of course). I know a lot of people who have recommended trying this and I’ve always been a little hesitant. I’m not sure why but part of it may be because I see zucchini as a sort of hot cucumber. To me, it’s not been my favorite, but hey, a part of life is living it in new ways.
Also, I made a slight error and what is cooking without some research and development. My zuccs were large and I thought just having them in the oven with the meat and sauce would be enough cooking time. I will say, I didn’t quite mind them being so crunchy BUT I think it would be best for you to start with them in the oven for 7-10 minutes before adding the other ingredients.
Italian Turkey Zucchini Boats
For your ingredients:
- 2 Cups Homemade Pasta Sauce
- 4 Medium-Large Zucchinis
- 1 Pound Low Fat Ground Turkey (98%)
- 1 Container of Mushrooms, Sliced
- 2 Cups Shredded Low Moisture Mozzarella (I used Kroger brand)
- 1.5 Cups Ricotta Cheese (Made with Skim)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 TBSP Garlic, Minced
- 1 TBSP + 1 TSP Garlic Powder
- 1 TBSP Basil
- 1 TBSP Italian Seasoning
- 2 TSP Salt
Total Prep Time: 20 Minutes // Total Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Take zucchini and slice in half long-ways. Core the middle with a spoon until it looks like a boat.
- On the stove top, brown the ground turkey with the Italian Seasoning, 1 TSP of Salt, and Minced Garlic. Set aside when finished.
- In another stove top pan, cook the mushrooms with 1 TBSP Garlic Powder and 1 TSP of Salt. Set aside when finished.
- In a separate bowl, beat eggs until mixed and then fold in ricotta cheese, basil and 1 TSP Garlic Powder. Mix well. Fold in 1 Cup of Shredded Cheese.
- Build your boats! I tried mixing the ricotta in with the mushrooms and ground turkey and I found it spread very easily! Top with sauce and remaining shredded cheese!
- Bake ~30-40 minutes.
Yields 8 servings per batch above. Estimated Weight Watchers Points: 5sp per serving
I was craving pizza before I ate this and it really hit the spot!
Taylor Guardino, The Food Lover Gone Southern